how are you pursuing your destiny?

two weeks ago I found myself on a plane leaving John F. Kennedy airport from one of my favourite cities in the world – New York City, and was heading out with 5 other world changers, to meet up with two more friends with hopes to see Iceland awakened to the love of Jesus.
Upon arriving a few hours later, I found myself meandering up to the immigration man while eating a bagel...yes you heard right, I was so hungry I couldn’t even wait to get through immigration before I ate. When I realised there was no one in line I quickly “hid” what little bagel remained, it wasn’t long before I realised I was okay because the officer didn’t even ask me one question before stamping my passport on an already over-stamped passport page (you travelers know what I am talking about) and pushing me through the line rather quickly...it was a little to early in the morning to take it all in but not too early to realise the hilarity of it all and liken it to something out of a movie.

It seemed like only moments later we were on our bus to our guesthouse. It was then that the light went on, a long time dream of mine had become a reality! When I was a teenager we had a family friend come visit, he had been to Iceland and ever since he told me about it I wanted to go.
Now that being said...it wasn’t like I was proactively doing all I could to get here...in truth it wasn’t even on my “top 10” places that I was hoping to go in the next few years, it was just simply a dream to one day set foot on this soil.

As I meditated on all that the Lord did to get me to Iceland I marvelled at his goodness! The truth of the matter is, is that as much as I had wanted to come here for as long as I had, I had no intention of being a part of this team. I told my friend Danny no, it wasn’t possible (I had other obligations that I had committed to first). BUT, everything changed when I realised that, WAIT, I believe in Danny, I believe in his dreams, I agree with the anointing that God put on his life. Why would I not want to go to Iceland? Why would I not want to see Danny’s dream become reality?!
That’s when it hit me, the revelation that wanting to be a part of Danny’s dream coming to pass, in turn brought about the fulfillment of my own dream becoming reality!!

I have been wondering what it is that God is trying to say to me through this??
I think a lot was summed up for me in a podcast that my friend recommended to me recently. It’s from Bethel church in Redding, California, a podcast called, “finding your destiny”.
It talks about how we are so often consumed with, “what is God calling me to,...what is my destiny??”
What if, perhaps, we have it all wrong? What if we were actually meant to be finding our family or tribe that God is calling us to be a part of?
What if it is then, the moment we find our family/tribe, that we begin to become the person that God has created us to be?

It wasn’t until Jesus called Peter to be one of His disciples did Peter walk in to his destiny to be the “rock” the church was built on.
OR Paul who when he finally surrendered his life to the Lord and was taken in by Barnabas, brought in to a family, discipled and then was released to be the GREAT apostle we know him as today!

Again, what if we are asking the wrong question?

What if, there is something to this, being a part of a family/tribe so we can discover who God has destined us to be? Don’t we all want to know? This may be a crazy thought BUT what if, it is the people we surround ourselves with who point us to our calling and destiny?!
I think about this, I think about this a lot, should I be trying to fulfill God’s destiny for my life OR should I surround myself with the people who are like minded, seeking God and dreaming with me to get me to the place of fulfilling my destiny?

I reflect on my life and think that's it! This is the answer we are searching for! We are to surround ourselves with our family, our tribe. I look at the last nine years of my life and know that it is only through the relationships and family that I am a part of that I am fulfilling my destiny!
It's been years spent well, God has beyond blessed me getting to live with and surround myself with my best friends, family and tribe, seeing my dreams (big & small) become reality as I am living my destiny!




my friends and me at a waterfall on the golden circle.






2 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL THOUGHTSS!!!!

    It seems we are on the same Holy Spirit "Radio" Wave! Soooo goood! Let's talk ASAP! I have skype! :D I love you Lori! :D <3

    Your Sis and Marvelous Comrade,

    Sharai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharai!! I would love to catch up, I will look for you on skype! love ya!

    ReplyDelete