company's a coming...

My siblings and I had been blessed to grow up in a home where we had somewhat of a revolving door. My parents are some of the most hospitable people that I know, because of this I don't ever remember a time in my childhood when I (or my siblings) wasn't giving up my bed for a family member, friend or stranger to come stay in. Not to mention the countless people who we had come live with us over the years from our cousins, to single men/women or entire families. I was even one time resigned to sleeping in the closet, because there was no more room in the Inn but alas a place/space/bed was for one more was always found :)
My mom recently recounted to me that in the three years that my parents lived in their 8 bedroom home after first moving to Seattle she had MORE THAN 200 HUNDRED people come through their home and stay with them!! AMAZING! Maybe that is why we own so many towels :)
Through my parents and in turn our family's hospitality I have grown up with the rich heritage of understanding hospitality and truly knowing what it means to "send people on their journey in a manner worthy of God...and to support many that they may be fellow workers in the truth" I am confident that my parents have entertained angels unbeknownst to them!

As I prepare for company to come this evening and reflect on the past year and a half of living in Seattle I kind of chuckle to myself. Coming here I had hopes to one day own a home where missionaries, families and passersby would come to stay, meet and gather in a warm home, with a comfortable bed, where we would eat delicious food while taking part in stimulating conversation. I never would have dreamed that it would start in my sisters home where I wasn't even living almost a year and a half ago.

About 2 days after moving to Seattle a friend of mine called to see if he and his brother could come and stay with me. At the time I had just moved in to a home with a lady who soon became a great friend to me but at the time was someone I had just met, I did not have room to host anyone so I phoned my sister and she readily and excitedly opened up her home to my friends. The sista's had a great time with the brothers touring Seattle and soon sent them on their way, none of us knew that they set the tone for and be the first of MANY people to come through our own revolving door over the next 18 months.

One thing I have learned in all of our hosting this year is that we are blessed to be a blessing - but as it turns out we were really the ones to receive the blessing. We hosted friends and family from all over the US, Canada and the World who came and stayed in our humble little home. We shared many a great laughs, meals and refreshing conversation with old friends as well as making new ones in the process. As we would prepare for our company the one thing we would always try to have for our guests is some sort of a treat. Which brings me to tonight as I prepare for company to come I thought to myself what sort of treat can I prepare?! drum roll please...



2 comments:

  1. Lori you are a gracious and glorious human and I'm so lucky to have met you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paleo friendly recipe woot woot!

    ReplyDelete